Class of ’24 Spotlight on Riffath Sultana Hidayathullah

Photo of Riffath Sultana Hidayathullah.

Graduating with a Master of Advanced Architectural Research Studies: Performative Design and Technology, Riffath Sultana Hidayathullah explored her passion of designing for vulnerable spaces through technology. In her final project, she explores cellular structural systems with responsive technologies and iterative design strategies that cater to environmental needs and human comfort to tackle floods and other natural disasters. Riffath is dedicated to designing disaster-resilient and humanitarian architecture, using it as a tool for social empowerment and impact.

Learn more about Riffath’s journey.

Q: Tell us briefly about your background and why you chose your program at USC Architecture.

Born into a family of generational tennis players, I pursued my undergraduate in Architecture out of sheer curiosity and aesthetic pleasure. I was fervid about designing spaces that would make tangible differences in people’s lives, particularly in vulnerable areas. My interest has always driven me to explore the technological aspects of designing such spaces or elements which led me to pursue my graduate studies in Advanced Architectural Research Studies in Technology here at USC. 

Read the full story